Sep 22, 2008

Gutentag

So I've been saying gutentag to people randomly for years, but now it's 6:30 in the morning in Berlin and I can finally say it without sounding like an idiot. GUTENTAG! I still sounded like an idiot, didn't I? Well the first time I typed that I sounded even more idiotic than you think because this keyboard is completely whacked and I initially typed GUBENTAG! Awesome. The keyboard issues are relevant because it took me half an hour to figure out that you type @ by pressing Alt Gr + Shift + Q. So I need to go do other more German things with my day now, like eat cheese danish.

Before I go though: we saw pieces of the Berlin wall yesterday. Our neighborhood, the Prenzlauer Berg was on the western most edge of East Berlin and there are scars of the division everwhere. This church sat on the east side, it's congregation on the west. The original structure (having survived the war time bombings) was demolished, but has been rebuilt in this remarkable form now that the wall is down.

xoxo Jessie


2 comments:

Unknown said...

So good......

Unknown said...

Danke, danke, danke schoen for sharing your adventures! I don't remember much about our 1987 trip to Berlin, except the beautiful Peacock Island and the ICC in West Berlin, and that when I spent a somber day in East Berlin, I left Allison and Caroline (then 5 and 8) in the West Berlin home of a German friend's wonderful parents who spoke not a single word of English. I returned to find them all happy as can be, seeing that they all spoke Gummy Bear! (When translations are problematic, try candy!)

Enjoy!!! Be safe!!!

Love,
Melissa