Mar 30, 2009

Phnom Penh

So clearly there's no shortage of scooters in Phnom Penh. No shortage of crazy things to load them up with either:Yes, that's a man bringing a few dozen live chickens to market on the back of his moto. And it's not even close to being the craziest sight there:Fried insects. Rich in protein, I'm told.
Among the non-dietary discoveries was the Royal Palace. The buildings here were similar to those we had seen in Bangkok and somewhat less ornate. I did take about twenty pictures of lotus flowers, possibly because I could stand in the cool mist of the sprinklers while doing so.






My most lasting impressions of Phnom Penh came from our visit to the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum, which is housed in the former S-21 prison. Only 8, of the more than 14,000 people brought here, survived. The rest were tortured and taken to the Killing Fields, just outside the city. Walking through the cells, under the gallows, and among the pictures of those who were held here was overwhelming. The museum also detailed the experiences of Cambodians who fought for the Khmer Rouge. Essentially, there were only victims here. Phnom Penh was not my favorite stop. After Vietnam, things felt a bit overpriced and hassled, but that's partly due to the difference in the standard of living and lack of any social safety net here. Regardless, I'm glad I finally came here to judge for myself.xoxo Jessie

No comments: