Nov 9, 2008

Istria

We rented a car in order to see the Istrian coast. I drove a diesel-powered, manual transmission, Skoda hatchback through Croatia, Slovenia, and Italy. This in and of itself brought many adventures. First I had to find reverse. Then the klutch. Next came conversions metween miles per hour and kilometers per hour. Don't forget toll roads and choosing among the four different kinds of diesel fuel (no, I did not repeat any part of the Peage to those Kornbergs following at home). Last but not least, the traffic signs. For example, the speed limit on the freeway is 130 km/h, but only slower speeds are ever marked (so a belated apology to all those people trying to pass me that first night when I thought the speed limit was 100 km/h because that was the reduced speed on the onramp...). This sign means you have left the thing that's crossed out (in this case a coastal town in both Italian and Croatian).
This is just a basic warning sign, but it was used frequently and inexplicably. In this case it's warning of an upcoming bridge over a river, but in many cases it appeared by itself on an otherwise unchanging roadway.

I always did the sign justice but freaking out, slowing down, and creating a traffic situation worthy of the sign. I think between now and the next car rental Aaron may take it upon himself to learn how to drive stick.

xoxo Jessie

No comments: