Nov 1, 2008

Maribor, or how we owe the Toplaks

In Slovenia we were the guests of Jurij Toplak and his family. Consequently, what had been envisioned as a two or three day visit, morphed into a week-long shmooz. We met the Toplaks in Maribor. From there Jurij showed us his family's vineyards in Ptuj.

Here we (Jurij and I that is) are in Jurij's cousin Marko's cellars trying, among others, an Italian Traminec, which I drank a wee bit too much of...

Jurij also took us up Maribor's ski lift (Maribor annually hosts World Cup skiing), which is outfitted with literally the oldest/sketchiest gondolas I've ever seen:)

On our last day in town Aaron and I hiked up these vineyards on the outskirts of town to a small chapel. We passed a high school gym class on the trail. What a life!

Jurij was unendingly patient with our foreign curiosity, explaining not just the legal system (he is a professor of constitutional law), but everything from why Albanians man the gelato stands, to how the transition from communism to capitalism has taken shape. Speaking of those Albanian gelaterias, in Slovenia we discovered a particularly valuable recipe: gelato (chocolate, hazelnut, vanilla - take your pick) mixed with crushed Ferrero Rocher. It's delicious and it's coming home to America with us.

xoxo Jessie

p.s. Aaron has requested photo credits. I don't know why I'm obliging the request, but (as Debs would say) F your I, Aaron took all the pictures in this post because my flash drive is on the fritz and I couldn't access mine.

No comments: